Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

I'm on my way -- I don't know where I'm going -- but I'm on my way

I’ve been home for about a month now, and have been trying to figure out how to put the finishing touches on the blog. I’ve been racking my brain trying to come up with a clever ending to my trip, until I realized it’s impossible because the journey itself hasn’t ended. Looking back, while the voyage had a definitive beginning in Halifax, and a forced ending in Florida, the trip was an eye opening introduction to new cultures and experiences, providing a view of the opportunities and wonders that exist in other parts of the world. Though my summer at sea has come to an end, the impact, stories, photos, impressions and desire to understand more of the world will be with me forever.

So, I will stop here, by thanking all of you who have taken the time to read my attempt to put my travels into words, with a special appreciation of those who commented and kept in touch while I was thousands of nautical miles away, and in finally disclosing my hope that I will be fortunate enough to continue seeing the world and sharing my thoughts and photos with all of you. Happy Trails --

Comments:
On my part, I will simply say...a final "thank you Alex". love dad
 
Truly a pleasure to read this. Alex has many gifts, both
photographically and with his writing. Thanks for letting us be
interested spectators! Love, Jeff
 
Alex, thank you for sharing your awesome photos and words of your experiences. I am happy you had the opportunity to travel like you did. You will find it harder to travel as you get older and many of us haven't been on trips of your magnitude. Again, let me tip my hat and drink a beer to you! "keep on truckin"
cheers,
David B
 
Hello Alex!
Looks like you had a fantastic trip! I vicariously enjoyed the food and beer description of your Belgiuan trip! Ahhhh those french fries! One Belgian beer that is especially good is a beer called BAVIK ( a microbrewery in Bavikhove, West Flanders). It is only a stone through away from my hometown Ingelmunster in Belgium where I grew up. Imagine how surprised I was to see this beer on the shelves at Beverages and More! Did you get to meet some of the nice Flemish girls?

The other pictures make me want to travel Northern Europe, a part I have not visited.

Best Regards

Rik Vanooteghem
 
Hey Alex, I have forwarded your Blog to a few people because I felt you did such a good job. Kinda felt like I was there. Reminded me of those places that I had also been to.

Thanks, Ron
 
Alex, you have ended this blog the way it is supposed be--there is no end to Semester at Sea....it never ends in your mind...or your yearning to be back on board...

Gretchen
 
What a cool semester trip - I did something similar back in the day with my college. We sailed around the Caribbean for 2 months and took classes while working the ship. Really great experience - I know you will never forget yours either.

Nice site as well - Ben O.
 
Because of this blog, I will be going on the semester at Sea after my volunteering trip to Brazil, thank you again for all your experiences, and again for showing me this trip, so I could have the experience to go on it as well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?